2002 Jun 21 00:02

[vox-tech] What's needed for 3D support?

[vox-tech] What's needed for 3D support?

I seldom play games and I'm a complete dummy when it comes
to 3D stuff.  But yesterday I was trying to get billardgl
and tuxracer to work, without much luck.

I've got an aging 16MB Voodoo Banshee card on my desktop
machine running Gentoo Linux (2.4.19 kernel, xfree 4.2.0).
The kernel has the tdfx video stuff built-in (not a module),
and XF86Config includes 'Load "glx"'.

Tuxracer does run, but I get about 0.3 fps.  BillardGL sort
of runs except it's ridiculously slow, taking 5-10 minutes
just to get past the splash screen and continually eating
100% of the CPU and all real memory.  This is a 500 Mhz
Celeron box with 256MB RAM.

Does anyone have pointers/suggestions?

Thanks,

-- Rod