2002 Jun 20 19:15

[vox-tech] Hard Drive Issues, Denial

Sorry for breaking the thread. :-P  Other messages in this same thread are in my Windows box.  Heh.

Pete- the strange thing about my home partition being filled to 100% capacity is that I wasn't really doing anything that should have filled it like that.  Something in there was spontaneously expanding.  heh.  I did do df -h and du (and just plain old ls -al) but I couldn't find anything that looked out of the ordinary.  Of course, now, it just says that it's up to 52% capacity.  As before.

Others- The "simpleton's way out" for me was this: when I had this problem in the past, I simply put my Linux installation CD in the drive and went and clicked "upgrade", hoping to at least restore my system to its pre-zarked condition by overwriting some of the damaged files.  Not the wisest plan, I know.  I was young and stupid.  Now I'm just old and stupid.  ;-)

As for creating the /var2 directory...  Well, as I mentioned, I tried to create a directory called /var2 from the / directory while logged in as root, and got an "Input/Output Error".  The first thing I checked, of course, was to see if there was a file or directory called "/var2" already existing; there wasn't.  I also checked the free space on the disk, and there was plenty (well, it was filled to 96% capacity, at least).

I can get into the computer just fine; I'm in it right now, sending this message from Mutt, and all of my services seem to be functioning just fine.  Sendmail is operating fine, at least, as is httpd (yes, I upgraded Apache -- hehe).

I've piped the output of dmesg to a text file, and will be more than happy to send it and other logs to whoever is willing to peek at them.  :)

Richard

--
Slainte,
Richard S. Crawford