2002 Jun 17 14:59

Re: [vox-tech] how to configure X 4.x on debian woody

Re: [vox-tech] how to configure X 4.x on debian woody

begin Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com>
> Peter wrote:
>
> > ok, there was a request on vox-tech for
> >
> >    "how to configure X 4.x on woody",
> >
> > which is another way of asking:
> >
> >    "how to configure X 4.x on my linux machine when my GUI tools fail".
> >

> > i wrote something up for the installfest tomorrow.  took about 5
> > minutes, so don't expect too much:
> >
> >    http://www.dirac.org/linux/debian/X.txt
>
> I vaguely recall that the Debian Project also produced a fairly nice,
> X-based alternative called anXious, but haven't found it necessary to
> grab that.  (Warning:  That may be XFree86 3.x, only.)

anXious is only for X3, although nowhere does it say this in the
manpages or package info.

i contacted the author (who is also the package maintainer) and asked
him to add one sentence to anXious.1.gz stating that anXious is for X3.

considering woody will come with _both_ X3 and X4, there will no doubt
be confusion on the part of many future installers.  that added sentence
to the man page may avoid some heartache of newbie-ish installers.

if he doesn't reply to my email, i'll file a bug-report "wishlist"
against the pacakge.

pete