January 6: Social gathering
2002 Jun 18 14:23

[vox-tech] mixing potato and woody entries in apt sources.list

[vox-tech] mixing potato and woody entries in apt sources.list

I have been lurking on this list for a while and see a lot of discussion
on apt-get. I have switched my main server to Debian and upgraded it to
woody a few months ago. When I did I commented out the security.debian.org
entries in sources.list because the lines referenced potato.

Will uncommenting these lines cause problems? What I'm wondering is if
there is a package released in the woody tree (please correct me if I get
the terms wrong) and then a different version released from the security
site, which would take precedence?

for example: application-1.0 is installed from potato, then the woody
dist-upgrade installs application-2.0, then application 1.5 is 'released'
from the security site for potato. Which is the last version installed? or
does this even happen?

thanks for your time...
doug

--
"In seeking wisdom thou art wise; in imagining that thou has attained
it thou art a fool." - Simon Ben Azzai, second-century Jewish scholar.