2002 Jun 10 17:29

Re: [vox-tech] [web-dev] Setting website icons?

Re: [vox-tech] [web-dev] Setting website icons?

I tried with Mozilla 1.0 and IE55.  No icon's

Mozilla appears to have added support in release 0.9.6
http://www.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla0.9.6/#new

and here is more info
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/Author/dhtml/howto/ShortcutIcon.asp
But as MS site's often break on non-MS browser's, the
relavant section is below.  NOTE:  If you use this, you
can count file requests or this ico in your web server
log to see how many people bookmark your site.  :/

Create the Correct Size Icon

For Internet Explorer 5, the required size of a
shortcut icon is 16x16 pixels. To create the icon, use
an icon editor, such as the one included in Microsoft
Visual Studio® or one of the many other icon editors
available. Regardless of the program you use, make sure
you set the editor to create an icon that is 16x16
pixels. Otherwise, the icon will be ignored by Internet
Explorer.
Associate the Icon with Your Web Page

After creating the icon, you must associate it with
your Web page. One way is to save the icon with the
default file name of favicon.ico in the root directory
of your domain—for example,
www.microsoft.com/favicon.ico. Each time your Web page
is added to a user's favorites, Internet Explorer
automatically searches for this file and places the
icon next to all the favorites and quick links
originating from your site.

You can also associate the icon with your Web page by
saving the icon with a file name other than favicon.ico
and adding a line of HTML code in the head section of
your Web document. The line of code includes a link tag
that specifies the location and name of the file. You
can include this link tag on a per-page basis.

<HEAD>
  <LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON"
HREF="http://www.mydomain.com/myicon.ico";>
  <TITLE>My Title</TITLE>
</HEAD>

On Mon, 10 June 2002, Matt Holland wrote

>  > Anyone happen to know if any other
'favicon.ico'-supporting browsers
>  > have problems?  (Does Moz support icons?)
>
> Mozilla does support icons (works with redhat.com,
newegg.com, and
> others), but I don't see them on lugod.org,
billsgames.com, or
> newbreedsoftware.com.  I'm using a debug-free version
of Mozilla 1.0_rc1
> under Linux, so it's possible that the official
release of 1.0 behaves