2002 Jun 10 11:35

[vox-tech] wierd permissions problem - solved

[vox-tech] wierd permissions problem - solved

i had a wierd problem - root had lost the rootly powers to list, cd into
and delete directories owned by non-root users.

there were a bunch of very good suggestions, but none of them worked.

i figured out what happened.  the kernel on that machine was a late 2.5
kernel.   after rebooting into an earlier 2.4 kernel, the problem
disappeared.

my guess is that fileutils or libc on that machine needs to be updated
for the 2.5 kernels.   everything is cool now.

pete "i forgot what kernel i was running" salzman