2002 Jun 07 12:03

Re: [vox-tech] missing init; system unbootable

Re: [vox-tech] missing init; system unbootable

begin ME <dugan@passwall.com>
> On Fri, 7 Jun 2002 ryan@mother.com wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 12:36:47AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > > word up, ryan.  how did you manage this one?    :-)
> > >
> > > try looking at initrd.
> >
> > I looked, and it's where lilo says it should be.
> >
> > I'm thinking that the mount error is the real problem, anyonw know
> > what it means?
>
> Check your /etc/fstab. Is the partition that is meant to be your root
> actually your root? Is the partition that is meant to be root that is
> actually your root specified to be the same filesystem as what /etc/fstab
> states?
>
> If that is all fine, then make sure your init is part of your
> "/" (root) partition and check it (fsck -t ext2 /dev/....) from an
> emergency boot disk.
>
> Are you trying to run an older kernel with a "newer" ext2 filesystem? Some
> settings available for ext2 in the linux 2.2 (and later) kernels are not
> available to the earlier (2.0 and earlier) kernels. If you had a v2.4 or
> v2.2 kernel and are getting this when trying to launch a v2.0 (or earlier
> kernel) that is one thing I would suspect too.
>
> As for the error, I have not seen it before, but if your "init" is on that
> partition, that would explain why it cant find "init" ;-)
>
> "freeing unused kernel memory" should be unrelated AFAIK. It is part of
> the normal booting process if I recall.

during the a kernel boot, memory is used for various initializations and
house keeping, like device probing and whatnot.

once the module is initialized, the memory is no longer needed, so it's
freed.

pete