2002 Jun 07 09:09

Re: [vox-tech] missing init; system unbootable

On Friday 07 June 2002 01:38 am, you wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 12:36:47AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > word up, ryan.  how did you manage this one?    :-)
> >
> > try looking at initrd.
>
> I looked, and it's where lilo says it should be.
>
> I'm thinking that the mount error is the real problem, anyonw know what it
> means?

lemme guess...you upgraded your kernel?

i did a quick web search.  here are a few ideas:
* are you sure you ran "lilo" to write-out any changes in /etc/lilo.conf?
  (i've forgotten this more than once, myself)
* it seems like something changed on your system.  can you give us
  a little more info on what preceded this event?
* i second peter's suggestion to look at initrd.  my guess is that you
  need to re-run mkinitrd, and you may need to force particular modules
  to load in a particular order.
* i'm guessing that you did *not* save your previous kernel configuration
  in /etc/lilo.conf  it is a really good idea to do something like this:
  (apologies if you already do, but it's good for other people to see it)

prompt
timeout=5
boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
message=/boot/message

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18
label=linux
initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.18.img
read-only
root=/dev/hda5

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.7-3
label=linux-old
initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.7-3.img
read-only
root=/dev/hda5

that way if 2.4.18 doesn't work, you've still got a choice and you can still
boot.

shawn.