2002 Jun 06 12:06

Re: [vox-tech] another php question

On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 11:04:19AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> is there a way to pass a variable to a php3 href so i can have one file
> that does a reading, but with an argument of which data file to read?
> something like:
>

>    Click on your favorite car:
>    <UL>
>    <LI><A href="display_stats.php3" arg="mustang.dat">mustang</A>
>    <LI><A href="display_stats.php3" arg="beetle.dat">beetle</A>
>    </UL>
>
> can i do this sort of thing with php3?

I think what you want is

    <UL>
    <LI><A href="display_stats.php3?arg=mustang.dat">mustang</A>
    <LI><A href="display_stats.php3?arg=beetle.dat">beetle</A>
    </UL>

After doing this, your display_stats page can read the argument from
$arg.  Note that you still need to do some checking to make sure people
don't craft a url like "display_stats.php3?arg=/etc/shadow" -- this can
be a security hole if you use the filename directly without checking it
first.

Matt