2002 Jun 03 21:49

[vox-tech] ssh tunneling

hey all,

I'm trying to set up an encrypted imap tunnel to campus using ssh.
However, when I try to do:

ssh -L 12345:localhost:143 purple.ucdavis.edu

it tells me i'm not allowed to log in to purple.ucdavis.edu

Campus doesn't handle imap over ssl, and if I can't log in to the server
via interactive shell, I don't think I can tunnel with ssh.

is this hopeless? any ideas?

thanks,
-Gabe