2002 May 31 18:44

Re: [vox-tech] Linux in a Heterogenous Network

On Friday 31 May 2002 04:00 pm, Stephen M. Helms wrote:
> I looking for comments on what I should cover on the talk I am doing on
> August 6th.  The topic is Linux in a Heterogenous Network.  Here is a
> slashdot article from today discusing the same topic.
>
> http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/05/30/1927237&mode=thread&tid=126

I'd suggest talking about the different things a Linux server
can do.  Samba, Netatalk, WWW, SSH, LDAP, intranet stuff,
SQL server, app server, etc.

> I think an overview or combination of the Linux for the Office talk at
> DCN would be good as well.
>
> http://www.lugod.org/presentations/linux4office/

Yeah it's kind of hard to talk about one without the other.
I would be happy to discuss ideas with you.

> What are people interested in?  Work/business setting?  Home setting,
> etc...?

I think it's kind of a myth that work settings are different
from home settings.  Many of the same types of problems
exist in both places, and many of us do work stuff at home
(also in that vein, a mention of FreeS/WAN and other
tunneling tools may be good).

-- Rod
   http://www.sunsetsystems.com/