2002 May 29 09:26

Revoking open file descriptors?

Hi everyone, but especially UNIX wizards

Is it possible to revoke an open file descriptor in UNIX?  (e.g. process A
closes a file descriptor that's used by B, without B's cooperation; A and
B need not be parent and child)
I think it's categorically impossible, but I'm having trouble finding an
authoritative cite.  Also I could be wrong.

--n twn

***
"It's better to be lucky than good."--my architecture professor