2002 May 23 20:53

Re: [vox-tech] gtk question - gtk notebook page creation from a callback

Re: [vox-tech] gtk question - gtk notebook page creation from a callback

begin Gabriel Rosa <grosa@ucdavis.edu>
> On Thu, 23 May 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >
> > all i can think of is making everything global, but that can't be the
> > only answer.   i'm a total gui novice -- are we expected to use lots of
> > global variables in gui programming?
>
> What I usually do for my FLTK stuff is put all the interface widgets into
> an Interface class, and pass a pointer to the interface class using the
> (void *) field in the callback. You could also do this on a widget-by-widget
> basis (ie, pass a widget * as the arguments to the callback).
>
> It's non-elegant, but it works.

doesn't that _basically_ amount to making all the widgets global?

i use the same technique with ncurses/cdk (with structs, not classes, of
course), but then again, i learned GUI programming from man pages.  i
never really read a book on it.

how would donald knuth approach GUI programming?  :-)

pete