January 6: Social gathering
2002 May 23 20:25

[vox-tech] gtk question - gtk notebook page creation from a callback

[vox-tech] gtk question - gtk notebook page creation from a callback

any gtk programmers out there?

i'd like to add a page to a gtk notebook from a menuitem activation.
here's what i have (much snippage):

  void viewSpritesItemCallback(GtkButton *widget)
  {
        printf("hello world\n");
  }

   int main(int argc, char *argv[])
   {
      GtkWidget *mainwin;
      GtkWidget *mainVbox;
      GtkWidget *menuBar *viewItem, *viewMenu, *viewSpritesItem;
      GtkWidget *notebookWidget;
      mainwin = gtk_window_new(GTK_WINDOW_TOPLEVEL);
      mainVbox = gtk_vbox_new(FALSE, 0);
      gtk_container_add( GTK_CONTAINER(mainwin), mainVbox);
      viewSpritesItem = gtk_menu_item_new_with_label( "view sprites" );
      gtk_signal_connect( GTK_OBJECT(viewSpritesItem), "activate",
               viewSpritesItemCallback, NULL);
   }

so when someone clicks "view sprites", it calls back
viewSpritesItemCallback.   what i'd like to do is call:

  gtk_notebook_append(GtkNotebook *notebook,
     GtkWidget *ChildToEmbedInPage,
     GtkWidget *PageLabel)

but if this is called within the callback, ChildToBeEmbededInPage and
PageLabel both go out of scope when the callback ends.  if i dynamically
allocate static memory, the pointers are lost.

all i can think of is making everything global, but that can't be the
only answer.   i'm a total gui novice -- are we expected to use lots of
global variables in gui programming?

any ideas on how i can make the callback add a page to the notebook?

pete