2002 May 22 22:11

Re: [vox-tech] Is mozilla going to finish compiling sometime this week?

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 06:41:11PM -0700, Ryan wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 May 2002 06:32 pm, Ryan wrote:
> > I've never compiled it before, is it normal for mozilla to be taking over 3
> > hours to compile? It doesn't look like it's running in a loop.......
>
> D'oh, forgot to mention what CPU I have. It's a 700 celeron.

I have heard tales that when Mozilla was first released, builds took >12
hours. (I have not tried to compile Mozilla myself.) So I suspect no build
loop in your case. Keep in mind that compilers running on fast CPUs are
IO-bound. How fast is your hard drive? My all-SCSI system is a big help when
I compile. Mozilla is written in C++, correct? In my experience, g++ is
extremely memory-hungry. If you do not have much physical RAM, your swap
performance may be a bottleneck. YMMV, of course, and be happy that you are
compiling for an IA32 machine, not an Alpha or a PowerPC :-).

--
Henry House