2002 May 17 12:59

Re: [vox-tech] CD-burn attempts

On Fri, 17 May 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> begin Rod Roark <rod@sunsetsystems.com>
> > Every time I see this kind of problem, it's a defective
> > or incompatible CD burner.  The cheap ones don't last
> > very long.
>
> i didn't want to say this in case someone came up with a better answer,
> but i'd have to agree with this.

It is certainly tempting to agree, but in my own case I have a very
low-end burner that has worked off and on, and kernel or burn software
changes often seem to be involved at the transitions. At the moment, it
appears to be working, so I am leaning toward the
bad-software/operator-error camp.  Kind of a chicken-and-egg thing,
though... high quality hardware tends to get more attention to its
drivers, and low-quality hardware gets by with whatever time the
developers have leftover, and difficulties they encounter may not be
solved if buying better hardware is an easier solution.

WRT CDRWs, I don't have enough experience with them to know whether
blanking-while-writing should work, but blanking and then writing seems to
work.  The frustrating thing about that is the extended burn time over
CDRs.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing