2002 May 16 22:16

Re: [vox-tech] Repost--Red Hat 7.0 Automount configuration issue

On Thu, 16 May 2002, Gregory Weber wrote:

> Posted this a while back, but no one bit.

I guess automounting isn't very popular.

> Thought I'd try again.
>
> Your patience is appreciated.

Worth a try, I suppose, but if we don't use automounting, you might do
better to try news:comp.os.linux.* ... maybe use
http://groups.google.com to search for answers.

It does look like you may have something wrong with your /etc/fstab file?

> Thanks in advance.
>
> Greg
>
> I'm booting into Red Hat 7.0.
>
> I have 2 hard drives (One Windows; Linux); 1 floppy; and 2 CD-ROM drives
> (one for playback; one for burning).
> After adjusting the auto mounting settings to try to get all 5 drives to
> mount automatically, I'm now getting the following errors:
>
> May 10 13:07:10 localhost mount: mount: block device /dev/cdrom is
> write-protected, mounting read-only
> May 10 13:07:10 localhost mount: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad
> superblock on /dev/cdrom,
> May 10 13:07:10 localhost mount:        or too many mounted file systems

/dev/cdrom is a symbolic link ("ls -l /dev/cdrom") to something else.  Is
it linked to the right thing? Do you have a cd in the drive? Does it work
under Windows?

> May 10 13:07:10 localhost mount: mount: block device /dev/cdrom1 is
> write-protected, mounting read-only
> May 10 13:07:13 localhost mount: mount: No medium found
> May 10 13:07:13 localhost mount: mount: /dev/fd0 is not a valid block device

For the floppy, you may need to specify /dev/fd0u1440, since floppies can
be formatted at various densities.  Or, you may just need to put a floppy
in the drive.  Usually we put "noauto" for floppy drives, because we
rarely want to mount them at every boot.

To be clear, there are various "automount" functionalities...  "auto" in
/etc/fstab, which indicates which devices you want mounted every time you
boot (typically NOT removable devices), "amd" which automatically
NFS-mounts the appropriate home directory of a user no matter which
machine they log into on a network, and the "automount" functionality in
KDE that I avoid. The only one I use is the (default) "auto" in
/etc/fstab, and there ONLY for non-backup partitions on hard disks.

> May 10 13:07:13 localhost netfs: Mounting other filesystems:  failed
>

> The 2 hard drives automount OK, as does the playback CD-ROM
> The floppy does not automount (although it will if I manually mount it).
> The CD-ROM does not seem to mount at all.
>
> In addition, the error messages just bug me.
>
> I'd appreciate any advice on how to reconfigure the program so that the
> drives automount and the error messages go away.

Use "noauto"?

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing