2002 May 14 17:01

Re: [vox-tech] Demo machine motherboard doesn't like > 64 Gig drives

On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 02:41:49PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> i partitioned the drive and made the filesystem on lucifer, then put the
> drive back into satan.  this time around satan's bios was able to detect
> the drive just fine and it booted up flawlessly.

  This sounds odd, as if the BIOS is reading the partition table or
something to decide the hard drive size... I don't know that they
don't they just shouldn't need to.

  The only silly but very understandable explanation is that the first
several attempts on satan the IDE cable was plugged in backwards... when
the drive was moved it was connected correctly.  :)

  For what it's worth the 80 Gig drive works fine in a gabriel
(my old Pentium 100)... I don't use it as a boot drive, and I
don't remember needing to mess with the BIOS.  I have not tried
the 120.

  I don't remember what you called it, but I think the machine which I
used to test the solder-repaired hard drive in does not even POST if a
IDE drive is plugged in backwards (even after the magic power-on-already
dance).