2002 May 05 14:54

Re: [vox-tech] 4.21 Installfest Follow up--Red Hat 7 Sound/Modem configu

Re: [vox-tech] 4.21 Installfest Follow up--Red Hat 7 Sound/Modem configuration problems resurface

On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 12:29:27PM -0700, Gregory Weber wrote:
> After deleting the /p account, I've now lost my modem again. (The sound card
> is still working.) I tried to restore from the backup file, but when I ran
> the command, "tar -xvpf /mnt/zip/homebkp.tgz" I get error messages that say
> it's not a tar file.  I don't know if the zip drive file is corrupted or
> not.

The file extension .tgz implies that the archive is both tar'ed and
gzip'ed.  If this is the case, you'll need to add "z" to your list of
tar parameters in order to extract the files:

    tar xvpfz /mnt/zip/homebkp.tgz

If you still get the 'not a tar file' message, you can use the 'file'
command to figure out what type of file it really is:

    file /mnt/zip/homebkp.tgz

Matt