January 6: Social gathering
2002 May 05 14:54

[vox-tech] 4.21 Installfest Follow up--Red Hat 7 Sound/Modem configurati

[vox-tech] 4.21 Installfest Follow up--Red Hat 7 Sound/Modem configuration problems resurface

I attended the 4.21 installfest.  Prior to the session, I'd loaded Red Hat 7
and ended up with a conflict between my ISA Plug 'n Play - Ensoniq Vivo
sound card and my ISA P n P internal Courier 56k V.everything modem.

I think Peter & then Michael (?) spent the better part of 2 hours tackling
the problem. The solutions involved some extensive use of setserial and
other commands that are beyond my newbie abilities.

During the installfest, there was a temporary account ("p") set up on my
system.  Last night, trying to clean things up, I deleted the temporary
account (after first backing up to a parallel port zip drive I'd
successfully mounted on my own, using the command "tar -cvzf
/mnt/zip/homebkp.tgz /home").

After deleting the /p account, I've now lost my modem again. (The sound card
is still working.) I tried to restore from the backup file, but when I ran
the command, "tar -xvpf /mnt/zip/homebkp.tgz" I get error messages that say
it's not a tar file.  I don't know if the zip drive file is corrupted or
not.

In any event, I'd simply like to recreate the magic that got around the
sound/modem conflict.

Can anyone who was there help?

Much thanks.

Greg Weber