2002 May 03 12:00

[vox-tech] Multiple IPs on one system

Here's a challenging question (for me at least),

I want to have server with two IP's on the same
subnet. So far, my attemps with two NIC's don't work.
To get any kind of connectivity, each NIC needs to
talk to a differnt subnet.

What I want to do it this:

eth0 - dhcp to get my name isp's name servers from the
firewall/dhcp server. No server service requests
(Samba, NFS, or FTP) allowed in.

eth1 - in the same subnet, but a fixed address outside
the dhcp range with server services running against
it.

The idea was to set up a mirror of Redhat's updates
files and update my systems locally with out having to
pay for multiple RH network memberships. I plan to
keep three to four systems updated this way. Each will
have a different configuration (Server, laptop,
workstation, etc.).

Questions:

1. Is this possible?

2. Would it be easier to just learn how to use
iptables?

Thanks in advance,
Marc