2002 Apr 28 11:55

Re: [vox-tech] X-win port 177

On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 11:11:05PM -0700, Tom wrote:
> Looked up port 177 (XDMCP) on google...
> http://www.microimages.com/mix/xdmconfig.htm
>
> I dunno about XDMCP, but a
> tom@dilweed:~$ xhost +
> access control disabled, clients can connect from any host
> Will turn off access controls.
>
> When using X-Win32, I normally log into the box with PuTTY and then set my
> DISPLAY variable, then launch whatever app I need, and it pops up on X-Win32.
>
> It's real ugly, but it works for quick and dirty apps.
>
> -Tom
> tlburnett@ucdavis.edu

Once you've done 'xhost +' anyone on the Internet can
stealthily log all your keystrokes, read your xterms, etc,
it's a can o' worms. NOT RECOMMENDED. Even xhost +$HOSTNAME
has its critics. Check out ssh which does 'X forwarding',
I haven't tried it personally but I think others on the
list have, and like it. Make sure your ssh is up to date,
there's been a recent remote exploit.

Chuck Polisher

--
Indecision:  the key to flexibility