2002 Apr 25 15:11

Re: [vox-tech] ac97 sound problems

mike,

as always, this was a very informative post!  i think i may have
something to add.

begin msimons@moria.simons-clan.com <msimons@moria.simons-clan.com>

>   If you send a "kill -9" and the process does not die instantly, then
> you have a kernel bug... there is no way to "block" or "hide" from kill -9.

>   So you have a kernel bug.

as you point out, processes in "uninterruptable sleep" can't be killed
with SIGKILL.  the process is put to sleep while the kernel waits for
some event to happen.  this corresponds to process status "D".

as you point out, it can be kernel bug.  often a race condition.
but it can also be caused by hardware failure.

the chipset in question is known to have issues in both linux and
windows.

pete