2002 Apr 25 13:04

[vox-tech] VGA Console Mode cursor bug.

  Well, I've noticed that the demo machine has the following artifact:

- when running the 2.4.18 kernel and
- when the console is in standard VGA 80x25 resolution and
- cursor is in column position 64,

then

  a "ghost" of the cursor appears on line up and in column position 0.
The effect is you have two blinking lines on the screen at one time.

  I suspect it is a video card problem.

  I haven't investigated this yet... more will follow when I figure
out what's up.

    TTFN,
      Mike

I switched from VESA console to VGA console mode at kernel compile
time for a combination of the following reasons:
  - I can't *STAND* a blinking block cursor... I couldn't figure out
    how to slow the blink rate *or* change to a line cursor.
  - VESA mode is *dog* slow.
  - It's hard to read things 144 characters across
  - I'm not that impressed with the boot logo.

  I'm not against going back because I would like a nice fullscreen
boot logo... if I can figure out how to slow or change the block
cursor mode and speed up text mode...