2002 Apr 23 22:55

Re: [vox-tech] breakinguplongwordsinlatex

Re: [vox-tech] breakinguplongwordsinlatex

begin nbs <nbs@sonic.net>
> On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 05:10:13PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> <snip>
> >
> > \linebreak[0]: if it's convenient, please consider line breaking here.
> > \linebreak[1]: please line break here.
> > \linebreak[2]: line break here.
> > \linebreak[3]: you better line break here or there's hell to pay
> > \linebreak[4]: hello latex, this is god speaking. thou shalt line break.
>
> Hmm.. this doesn't do much for me.  I'm not in control of the data
> being sent.  (In this case, if the people making the data would need
> to go through the trouble of inserting a "\linebreak" command, they
> may as well just stick a space in there instead, since it will Do The Right
> Thing, anyway.  -  I'm thinking this is what I'm going to have to have
> them do.)

ok, i think i understand a bit more.   can you make a parbox of a
certain width?   i think sticking everything in the parbox should give
you the desired result.

> I'll dig a little more. Thanks for the suggestions WRT the books.
> I'll see if someone at work here can ok a purchase. :)
> (I've been borrowing someone's "A Guide To LaTeX" by
> Helmut Kopka & Patrieck Daly)

good book, but the lamport / latex companion combo is much better.
especially for the stuff you're doing.

btw, there's also a "latex web companion" which is on latex, web and
html stuff.  never read it, so i don't know how good it is.

pete