2002 Apr 23 16:12

Re: [vox-tech] Not able to log into root.

Re: [vox-tech] Not able to log into root.

sounds good peter, but why would it change??  i'd be worried...

i tried a little experiment (don't try this at home boys and girls).  as a
backup, i opened a root shell.  then, in another shell, i changed the
permissions on /bin/su to 755.  when i try to su to root, i just get
"incorrect password" (this is RH 7.x).  i tried several combinations of
permissions (4755, 6755, 755), owner, and group, and all either work or
return "incorrect password."

so, changing the permissions may indeed correct the problem, but i'd
wonder how it got that way.  do you have any way to know that the
machine has not been rooted??

shawn.