2002 Apr 22 11:40

Re: [vox-tech] RH keeps crashing

At 11:15 AM 4/22/02 -0700, you wrote:

>and my response was to tell him how to run a program (type the name in
>at a prompt, possibly prepending a "./" in front of the name).  i then
>suggested that he read a general book on using linux.
>
>he basically had a cow.   a ... mad ... cow.

Hee hee!  I had someone at my last job ask me the same question.  I told
him to talk to the Sysadmin.  He told me the Sysadmin wouldn't talk to
him.  So I said something along the lines of, "Dump Linux and go back to
Windows."

Later, I felt guilty and showed him what to do, but made it plain I was NOT
an expert.

>also, hard drives are very easy to replace.  replacing your first hard
>drive is easier than replacing your first stick of DIMM.   hd's are
>idiot proof (well almost.  sorry, mike  ;) ).

The most intimidating thing about it is getting all my files back (yes, I
back up regularly onto an external medium, but still...).

>ok, this might be an indication of a bona-fide kernel crash.  that's
>when linux "stops running".  the kernel stops responding to any event.
>may be a ram problem.  doubt it's hard drive related.   a user space
>program shouldn't be taking the whole system down.

I'll double check the memory when I get home, then.  Ugh.  I wonder what
could be causing it?

I have kernel 2.4.7-10.

Would replacing RAM be as easy as replacing a hard drive?  I've added RAM
to a laptop, and I could do that in my sleep (remove lid... pop in chip...
replace lid).

I'll pick up one of the heavy-duty Linux books over my lunch hour. ;-)