2002 Apr 22 12:16

Re: [vox-tech] RH keeps crashing

begin Robert G. Scofield <rscofield@afes.com>
> On Monday 22 April 2002 09:50 am, you wrote:
> >
> > Rod suggess checking the filesystems to make sure they are not full (good
> > idea too)
>
> When you guys talk about the filesytems being full, do you mean that the hard
> disk is full?  I once completely filled up a Red Hat system to the point
> where I'd get error messages that it could not write my files because there
> was no room.  However, Linux worked flawlessly under these conditions unlike
> Windows which begins to crash with 150 megs or so of empty space left.
>
> Bob

filesystem refers to the hard drive.  and you're absolutely right.
linux sets aside 5% of the diskspace for use *just* for root.

when a filesystem reaches 100% there's still room left for rootly stuff.
that prevents total chaos ensuing when a filesystem gets full.

it also prevents a malicious user from intentionally bringing a system
to its knees.

pete