2002 Apr 13 11:47

Re: [vox-tech] not sure what to call it

On Sat, Apr 13, 2002 at 01:49:04PM -0400, Patrick Stockton wrote:
> Oh now this is an interesting idea, and HDB does happen to be a Maxtor drive
> on the older side.  For as long as I've had this box HDB has been used as
> the linux partition used in a dual boot situation.  Now that i've got the
> laptop I put the system on HDA and on HDB I've got one large partition that
> is mounted as /home
>
> I just ran a quick fdisk on hdb to see what it says and it gave me an
> interesting read out:
>
> Disk /dev/hdb: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 875 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes
>
>    Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/hdb1   *         1       876   7034296+  83  Linux
> Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary:
>      phys=(875, 186, 63) should be (875, 254, 63)
>
> I'm wondering what that exactly means...
>
> I looked for the /etc/sysconfig/harddisks but didn't find it.  Any other
> places I should look for DMA settings?  Possibly a jumper on the back?

They might have changed it in Mandrake 8.2; I'm running Mandrake 8.1.

Look at hdparm. If you put
/sbin/hdparm -d0 /dev/hdb
in a startup script, that will shut off DMA (-d0) on that drive.

That could explain the login failures - your shell tries to read its
.[shell]rc file in your home directory, and hangs.