2002 Apr 13 12:01

Re: [vox-tech] not sure what to call it

I have a new install of Mandrake 8.2 and have been having problems that sound
somewhat similar.  Everything works just fine and then suddenly all
functionality comes to a stop.  Looking into these problems, I've found on at
least two occasions that they're due to permissions problems.

What security level did you choose when you installed?  Mandrake's security
system, msec, does permission checks on the whole filesystem and changes the
permissions to what it thinks they ought to be.  So you can set them and come
back five minutes later and have them reset.  If you're having problems like
those I've been having, it could be because some daemon suddenly loses the
ability to write a file in /tmp for example, or to write to a log file, or to
read a file it needs.

Could this be the problem you're having?

Aaron