2002 Apr 13 09:14

Re: [vox-tech] not sure what to call it

begin Patrick Stockton <codejnki@codejnki.com>
> Actually this a new install.  It is about 3 weeks old and has done it since
> I installed it.  The problem is that it's almost random.  My girlfriend and
> I use it as an internet terminal and one of us will log out and the other
> will try to log in and it'll hang.

just to be clear - the kernel doesn't hang.  the keyboard and mouse
become unresponsive, right?  you can ssh in just fine even after the
problem happens?

> But speaking of new RPM's I did add Sun Java because she likes to play Yahoo
> card games.  I'm wondering if that could be the problem.

never liked java anyhow.  ;)   it's unbelievably slow and brings my
system performance down even worse than GNOME/KDE does.

> Scanning both dmesg and messages hasn't revealed a prime suspect which is
> why I turned to the list.  I guess I'm just too used to things working :)

> I've dissabled USB and will watch to see what happens.

barring that, boot into single user mode.  if the problem doesn't exist
in single user mode, then it's most likely easy to fix -- one of your
services is screwing up the system.

if the problem does exist in single user mode, i'd compile a custom made
kernel.  go back to an early 2.4 or something.  maybe even 2.2.

pete