2002 Apr 10 09:32

Re: [vox-tech] Groups and Users?

"ALLO (Alfredo Lopez)" wrote:

> I have a couple of Bioinformatics applications that are accessed through a
> Web server.  Some of the folders have as the User and Group: root; others
> have:1000 and another set has User:543  Group:63.
> Why do I have this weird (at least to me) collection of users and groups?  I
> guess that those that have root, have it because I was root when I created
> them, but the others?
> Do I need to change everything to root or something else?  Does it matter?
> Is there a "good practice" rule that I can follow?  I will appreciate any
> insight, links to sites where I can learn more about this, book suggestions
> etc.

Hi Alfredo,

Quick for the curious: /etc/passwd should indicate who has what user and
group numbers.

Common group numbers allow for sharing read, write, or execute
privileges among members of the same group (depending on the file
permission settings).

A good book is "Running Linux" and you can borrow a copy from me. :-)
--
Eric Engelhard - www.cvbig.org - www.sagresdiscovery.com