2002 Apr 09 11:36

[vox-tech] Re: [vox] internal access to jabberd by name

[vox-tech] Re: [vox] internal access to jabberd by name

(Moved to tech because it's about to get messy...)

I'm using NAT.  Slackware 4 on a P120 w/ 2.2.x kernel.

The jabberd server is running on a box behind the P120, so I portfw back to
it:
-----
# jabberd server
ipchains -A forward -p tcp -s <INET_IP>/32 5222 -j DENY
ipmasqadm portfw -d -P tcp -L <INET_IP> 5222 -R 192.168.3.201 5222
-----
That let's everyone from the outside get to it.

On the windows box behind the P120, the domain name resolves to my ip, but
because of how I set up ipchains and ipmasqadm, it doesn't accept the
connection.  It comes in on the wrong interface side.

Well no matter, I'll just put it in my hosts file under Windows.  But QT3 has
a bug where it doesn't read the hosts file.  (They don't use the windows
gethostbyname(), because it blocks.  They didn't wanna require threads for
QT3).

I ended up hard-coding the IP of the internal host into Psi
(psi.affinix.com), and passed the domain name in the XML to make jabber happy.
Mmm source code!

I should have just made a better jabberd portfw script, but where's the
fun in that? :)

-Tom
tlburnett@ucdavis.edu