2002 Apr 05 19:15

Re: [vox-tech] Loud fan, only on Linux

On Thu, 4 Apr 2002, Rod Roark wrote:

> What sort of fan?  Power supply?  CPU?  Case?

Let's see... ::klink klink...::

As far as I can tell without opening up the beast, it's the power supply.
When I boot into Windows, it seems it doesn't power down completely but
simply slows down.

FYI, the system is Sony.  Windows is XP.

> Check to see if your kernel is built with:
>
>   Power Management Support
>     Advanced Power Management BIOS support
>       Make CPU Idle calls when idle

Yep.  Turned it on when I recompiled the kernel.  Still no effect.

Thanks!  I'd appreciate further insites!

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/