2002 Apr 01 18:57

Re: [vox-tech] Effective home disk backup systems

On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 01:34:44PM -0800, Henry House wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 10:49:19AM -0800, Rod Roark wrote:
> > You can get removable carriers for IDE hard drives, which
> > make very practical cheap, fast backup.
>
> Intriguing. Are these hot-swappable? Do you have a reference?

Maybe not hot swappable, but building a separate hot failover box with
slide out drive trays is a good solution. I am building a box specifically
for this purpose. This way I power down the backup box for drive bay
swapping, but the main box still runs without interruption.

1.2 GHz
256 Meg
80 Gig Drive (drive tray)
20 Gig (Main drive)
100 Mbit ethernet.

Under $600

Heck, you could dedicate separate NIC's between the two boxes, and that
way you're not flooding your network with backup data.

--
Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/