2002 Mar 28 10:33

Getting the green "OK" on RH7.2

I can't get the little green "OK" to show, during the start/stop of my
service (Oracle) when I boot/stop.  The databases start and stop fine, I
just would like the "OK" to show up.

The script "dbstart" produces some output, I think to stdout, since it
appears
on the screen (hence the redirect to /dev/null).  The script is supplied by
Oracle, and I can't prevent the output (probably could hack the script, but
I'd prefer not to).

Questions:

1) I thought that as long as a script exits with a 0 I'd get an green "OK"
   when that service starts up.

2) Could the fact that the dbstart script produces output be screwing things
up

I'm running RH7.2,
here's the important bits

#!/bin/bash

start() {
        echo -n 'Starting Oracle database(s): '
        su - $ORA_OWNER -c "dbstart" /dev/null 2&1
        RETVAL=$?
        echo
        [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && touch /var/lock/subsys/dbora
        sleep 2
        return $RETVAL
}

case "$1" in