2002 Mar 26 21:54

Re: [vox-tech] need to debug boot crash

On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 09:49:56PM -0800, eric nelson wrote:
> ME wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 24 Mar 2002, eric nelson wrote:
> > > Its not panicking.  I'm doing an nfs mount of the os, and something went
> > > wrong init the initscripts.  The shift-pageup is a really good idea, I didn't
> > > know about that.  The problem is that so many errors spewed out that I
> > > coulldn't get far enough back.
> >
> > You doing network booting of a client with an NFS root from a server?
> >
> > We have about 80 diskless workstations doing net-booting here from the
> > same "ro" NFS export. What specific errors are being reported?
>
> First, something about mount program didn't pass correct address, then
> RPC: sendmsg returned error 101
> nfs: RPC call returned error 101
> .... over and over
>
> There are so many errors, that I can't scroll back.  I'll need to redo the kernel
> w/ the option Peter Jay Salzman mentioned.
>
> I'm not doing the kind of mount straight from the bios, but I want to learn how to
> do that one, later.  I have a boot floppy which loads a kernel, then gets an
> address from dhcp server, then mounts on nfs.  I'm sure the problem is in init
> scripts, or fstab or something.
>
> It's good to know someone is doing this, it's a great approach.

If you can snoop the wire (from another box), the trace
might diagnose the problem.  Something like:

	# tcpdump -i eth0 -nvvvxl -s100 host foo

where foo is the troubled host. Etherreal or some such utility might
be easier to interpret. Anyway, if you can watch the conversation
taking place between the host and client, the problem sometimes
jumps right out - eg., if it's an authentication error.

HTH,

Chuck Polisher
--
The best way to get information on Usenet is not by asking a question, but
by posting inaccurate information.