2002 Mar 22 07:31

Re: [vox-tech] What I Did Tonight

Use a boot CD.  For me, that means running the Mandrake installation CD
with the rescue option.  But that's just me.

You *might* be able to boot with u2's partition as the root partition (I
think you pass "root=/dev/<blah>" to the kernel at boot).  I can see the
kernel complaining, but it might work.

Either way, copy the files back to the original root partition and reboot.

-Mark

On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, Richard S. Crawford wrote:

> Tonight, in a desperate bid to free up some space on my hard drive, I went
> ahead and created a new directory on my huge unused /u2 partition called
> bin.  Then I copied everything from /bin to /u2/bin.  Then I deleted /bin
> and created a symbolic link from /bin -> /u2/bin.
>
> Then I rebooted.
>
> Shit.
>
> This probably won't be too hard to recover from.  But if anyone else has
> any advice on how to free up hard drive space that doesn't involve tricks
> that will make my computer forget how to start up, I'm all ears... or
> eyes... or something.  Right now, doing df -h reveals that / is at 100%
> capacity.
>

> Sliante,
> Richard S. Crawford
>
> http://www.mossroot.com
> AIM: Buffalo2K   ICQ: 11646404  Y!: rscrawford
> MSN: underpope@hotmail.com
>
> "It is only with the heart that we see rightly; what is essential is
> invisible to the eye."  --Antoine de Saint Exupéry
>
> "Push the button, Max!"

Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/
PGP key available upon request.