2002 Mar 20 19:31

Re: [vox-tech] Need help with bad Perl

begin ALLO (Alfredo Lopez) <ald@novozymesbiotech.com>

> I found out that according to one of the Bioinformatics wizards at Cold
> Spring Harbor the problem is Perl:
>
> "This problem has been reported under some versions of SuSE and RedHat Linux
> (it appears to be related to a particular RPM distribution of Perl).  Perl
> was built incorrectly, causing some but not all loadable modules to fail.
> The only solution I know of is to rebuild Perl correctly from scratch and
> reinstall all previously-installed modules."

their explanation doesn't say much, but it DOES say that the problem
ain't perl.  the problem is with suse and redhat's package of perl.

> Has anybody experienced this?  Is there a way to get around this other than
> building Perl.  I don't know but for an inexperienced user like me,
> rebuilding Perl is not a trivial exercise.

and how do you know this...experience?

how do you know that building perl isn't as easy as:

tar jxvf perl.tar.bz2
cd perl
./configure
make
make install

> BTY I am using the latest
> version of Caldera (Workstation 3.1) and I am getting next Friday a copy of
> RedHat 7.2. But I am almost sure 7.2 will have the same problem.

something is terribly wrong here.  you're not willing to install perl
from source code, but you ARE willing to install a new operating system.

do you see the irony here?  :-)

pete

ps- if you still think installing an operating system is easier than
installing perl from source, i think your best recourse is to install
debian.