2002 Mar 20 12:41

Re: [vox-tech] Network card trouble

begin ME <dugan@passwall.com>
> On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, Mike Cohen wrote:
> > Hi. I have a compaq presario and I recently installed RH7.2. Unfortunately,
> > it wont recognize the built-in network card. I had the same problem when I
> > reinstalled Win 2K, so I think my card is a bit fishy. I got windows to
> > find it, and it works fine in windows, but I'm just a novice in Linux. Can
> > anyone offer any advice? I'm on UCD campus every day, and I would be
> > grateful if I could meet up with someone to fix this problem.
>
> Many integrated peripherials (such as ethernet ports) use PCI for their MB
> integration. When this is diagnosed, I suggest tools such as "lspci" and
> examination of the previously mentioned "dmesg".

ahhh, yes.  good advice.   prolly what would've happened is i would've
looked at the output of dmesg, not seen anything (since the module
didn't load), scratched my head for a second and went for lspci.  :)

> Settings / Hardware list to find out what vendor/model# windows thinks it
> should be and have the laptop specs available to see what the vendor
> claims the model/chipset of the chip should be. This can help the process
> for finiding the proper driver even if dmesg does not report it as a
> device.

YAGIBME (yet another good idea by ME)

> Yet another resource is the linux laptop home page:
> http://www.linux-laptop.net/

this site had disappeared for a few weeks.  good to see it's back up.

> Of course I do not attend this LUG (except once :-) and cant be there to
> help. If of course you find yourself near nblug, I can take a look at
> it. (No, I am not trying to steal any of your members here.)

on second thought, i think the best advice is to go to:

and type the name of your laptop model followed by the word "linux",
followed by either "network" or "nic".  possibly add the word "config".

although you'll prolly learn (slightly) more going the lspci/Ethernet-HOWTO
route.

pete