2002 Mar 20 09:49

Re: [vox-tech] Network card trouble

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, Mike Cohen wrote:
> Hi. I have a compaq presario and I recently installed RH7.2. Unfortunately,
> it wont recognize the built-in network card. I had the same problem when I
> reinstalled Win 2K, so I think my card is a bit fishy. I got windows to
> find it, and it works fine in windows, but I'm just a novice in Linux. Can
> anyone offer any advice? I'm on UCD campus every day, and I would be
> grateful if I could meet up with someone to fix this problem.

Many integrated peripherials (such as ethernet ports) use PCI for their MB
integration. When this is diagnosed, I suggest tools such as "lspci" and
examination of the previously mentioned "dmesg".

If the box presently has windows installed, then use the windows Device
Settings / Hardware list to find out what vendor/model# windows thinks it
should be and have the laptop specs available to see what the vendor
claims the model/chipset of the chip should be. This can help the process
for finiding the proper driver even if dmesg does not report it as a
device.

Yet another resource is the linux laptop home page:
http://www.linux-laptop.net/

Then from there you can choose your laptop vendor and then get another
page: http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/compaq.html

To further refine the model of laptop you have. Odds are in favor for
others having had traveled down the same road as you. From here, you may
find an answer to how to make your on-board ethernet port work.

If you still cannot get it to work, and someone has volunteered to help
you with it if you were not able to get it to work with the suggestions
they provided, (I think this was Pete) bring any research you have on it
with you to help with the diagnosis/troubleshooting.

Of course I do not attend this LUG (except once :-) and cant be there to
help. If of course you find yourself near nblug, I can take a look at
it. (No, I am not trying to steal any of your members here.)

-ME