2002 Mar 15 08:32

Re: [vox-tech] gzip bug?

On Fri, Mar 15, 2002 at 08:03:22AM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> begin Charles Polisher <cpolish@attbi.com>
> > On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 11:14:08PM -0800, Kevin Dawson wrote:
>
> yeah, before i replied to this message, i checked what libraries gzip is
> linked against -- it's just linked against libc, and not zlib (which is
> odd.  i was expecting zlib.)

*nods* Still scratching for an answer, I installed the
sources for gzip, and found this tidbit in the README:

	WARNING: on several systems, compiler bugs cause gzip to fail, in
	particular when optimization options are on.  See the section "Special
	targets" at the end of the INSTALL file for a list of known problems.
	For all machines, use "make check" to check that gzip was compiled
	correctly.  Try compiling gzip without any optimization if you have a
	problem.