January 6: Social gathering
2002 Mar 15 15:25

[vox-tech] Re: Masquerading

martyn,

it's been a long while since i've done masquerading by hand (how
embarrasing!) but off the top of my head, do this:

on linux:

point your DNS to your ISP's DNS servers (/etc/resolv.conf)

# bring up the interfaces
ifconfig eth0 external-ip up
ifconfig eth1 192.168.0.1 up
# set up routing
route add default gateway your-ISP-gateway
# set a default policy for the forwarding chain
/sbin/ipchains -P forward DENY
# enable the masquerading
# do the masquerading
/sbin/ipchains -A forward -s 192.168.0.2 -j MASQ -i eth0
/sbin/ipchains -A forward -s 192.168.0.3 -j MASQ -i eth0

on windows:
point your DNS at your ISP's DNS servers
use 192.168.0.1 as your gateway.
(i don't use windows, so i don't know how you do this)

i've cc'd vox-tech just in case i screwed up.  i'm sure someone will
correct me in minutes.   :-)

btw, vox-techers, please cc this guy since he's not on the mailing list.

if you use linux, please consider coming to our meetings.
www.lugod.org.  we gladly accept donations to help fund demos,
installfests and our lending library.

pete

begin Martyn R Whittaker <martyn.whittaker@virgin.net>