2002 Mar 14 16:06

Re: [vox-tech] Question regarding making proxy work

On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, Steven Peck wrote:

> OS Red Hat 7.1
>
> I'm on an internal corporate lan and trying my first Linux install.
> We're running MS Proxy Server, and I seem completely unable to make the
> box see the outside world.
>
> I've added the appropriate entries to the proxy settings in netscape,
> and the proxy server asks for authentication, and then it tries to load
> the page, but it pukes after about 15 seconds.
>
> Do I need to make changes to the proxy server? Do I need to change
> settings on the Linux box? Do I need to just rewire that network port
> directly to the backbone on the far side of the proxy? <G>

I have had very limited dealings with proxying... I played around with
socks5 and Windows clients (hint: tell socks5 to use socks4 protocols).

I don't know how trustworthy the source is, but
http://toastytech.com/evil/msproxy.html says you are hosed.

Al Longyear is a pretty well-known ppp guy, but this message is old:
http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/net/9701.3/0034.html

On the other hand, there is a hopeful note at
http://browserwatch.internet.com/news/stories2001/news-20010116-2.html.

Good luck!

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing