2002 Mar 14 18:02

Re: [vox-tech] Software IDE Root RAID on Linux

On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, Bill Broadley wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 10:23:40AM -0800, Stephen M. Helms wrote:
> > This makes perfect sense on a production machine, not needed in my
> > case.  I will remember for further reference for sure.
> >
> > Bill:  How do you handle swap partitions on this machine?
>
> Normal swap partitions, as recommended, it makes sense since you don't
> need the overhead of the raid layer and swap already will make use
> of multiple disks for increased performance.

Not a RAID user, but this doesn't make sense to me.  If part of my swap
goes south, how can my applications continue to run?  I think it depends
on whether you require continuous reliable operation or are only willing
to pay for safe data and nevermind a crash related to hardware failure.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing