2002 Mar 13 10:43

Re: [vox-tech] stopping serial console

On Tuesday 12 March 2002 08:37 pm, you wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 05:57:23PM -0800, eric nelson wrote:
> > I built a kernel today, and checked 'support console on serial port'.
> > Then, I wanted to set up minicom between the pc and another box, and I
> > got a login (duh, that's what I set up).  But, I don't really want a
> > login, I just want to use the port, and don't want to recompile the
> > kernel.
> >
> > Anyway to stop this behavior?
>
> You should be able to stop the kernel logs on boot up by specifing a
> console=tty1 via lilo as already suggested.
>
> To stop the login prompt (if there is one), you should comment out the
> appropriate getty on that tty port from /etc/inittab.

I'll try that tomorrow, the machines are at work.  Does anyone know how the
getty determines something is there?  Is it just receiving any character?
Because I had hardware flow turned off, and a breakout box on the serial
line, and all the control lines, RTS, CD, DTR, etc. seemed to be doing
nothing.  So it must start the login when it gets a character, or newline, or
something.  But, it's not that critical.

Anyway, I better get the getty off.  heh-heh ;~)  Does all this mean that
getty won't work if the console on serial port is not compiled into the
kernel?