2002 Mar 11 07:48

Re: [vox-tech] Setting up X

begin Jay Strauss <jjstrauss@yahoo.com>
> I loaded the fonts and I got an X screen.  But my mouse doesn't work (as
> soon as I touch it, it goes to the upper-right corner of the screen).

does the mouse work correctly under console?  if so...

classic symptom of one of two things:

1. mouse misconfigured under X (ie- using imps2 when you need to use ps2).

   see   vi `locate README.mouse`  for a list of options that goes under
   your mouse section.  your mouse section will look something like
	this:

   Section "InputDevice"
      Identifier  "Generic Mouse"
      Driver      "mouse"
      Option      "CorePointer"
      Option      "Protocol"        "ImPS/2"
      Option      "Resolution"      "2000"
      Option      "Device"          "/dev/psaux"
      Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "false"
      Option      "buttons"         "5"
      Option      "ZAxisMapping"    "4 5"
   EndSection

2. gpm and X are both reading from the same device file.

   see vox-tech archives.  we had an extensive thread on this.
   basically, you want gpm to read the raw mouse device and repeat (raw
   repeat?) to /dev/gpmdata.  then you want X to read /dev/gpmdata.

> Also
> I deleted the /etc/X11/X86Config file, but I still get the X screen; Where
> is it getting its config info?

have you tried

updatedb
locate XF86Config

have you looked to see if there's a /etc/X11/XF86Config-4?

have you looked in /var/log/XFree86.0.log?   the name of the config file
used is in there.

you're best bet is to take 45 minutes out and read man XF86Config-4.
read what seems pertinent.   skip what seems totally irrelevent.  gloss
over stuff that you're not sure if it's relevent or not.

reading this man page in particular is one of the ways to become a less
frustrated linux user.  it's long and boring, but you'll be thankful you
did everytime you want to set up or modify X on a system.

by the way, i just noticed this in "gpm -t help":

  autops2    - For PS/2 type mouse, specific protocol will be auto detected

i never saw this before; it must be brand new.  looks kind of cool.

pete