2002 Mar 10 13:38

Re: [vox-tech] binding multi ip's to single iface in debian

Re: [vox-tech] binding multi ip's to single iface in debian

Kernel compile/config option:

CONFIG_IP_ALIAS

(linux kernel src path)/Documentation/Configure.help )
---
CONFIG_IP_ALIAS
  Sometimes it is useful to give several IP addresses to a single
  physical network interface (serial port or Ethernet card). The most
  common case is that you want to serve different WWW or ftp documents
  to the outside depending on which of your host names was used to
  connect to you. This is called "multihosting" or "virtual domains"
  or "virtual hosting services" and is explained in detail on the WWW
  at http://www.thesphere.com/~dlp/TwoServers/ (to browse the WWW, you
  need to have access to a machine on the Internet that has a program
  like lynx or netscape) and also in the Virtual-Services-HOWTO,
  available via FTP (user: anonymous) from
  ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO.

  Another scenario would be that there are two logical networks living
  on your local Ethernet and you want to access them both with the
  same Ethernet card. This can also be done if you say Y here.

  The configuration of these alias addresses is done with a special
  name syntax explained in Documentation/networking/alias.txt and in
  the IP-Alias mini-HOWTO. If you want this, say Y. Most people don't
  need it and say N.

---

After you have this enables, you can ifconfig the interface with
ifconfig eth0:0 blah
and
ifconfig eth0:1 blah
etc...

Check ut the readmes they ref in the kernel doc, they explain more than my
"blah" :-)

-ME