2002 Mar 07 08:09

Re: [vox-tech] Is dselect still a package?

Re: [vox-tech] Is dselect still a package?

> begin Jay Strauss <jjstrauss@yahoo.com>
> > I just installed debian (again and again...).
>
> why would you install it more than once?

When I installed from cd (an old one) X didn't work, when I did it from the
net it works (but I may have chose different setting)

> > I was reading about dselect,
> > but its not on my system,
>
> hard to believe.  i hope this isn't an insulting question, but what
> makes you think it's not on your system?

:) I thought you meant my question was insulting.
When I'd type "dselect", I'd get command not found.

I rebooted (after installing perl (unstable)) and now it's there, I don't
get it

> > I did a apt-cache search dselect but there is no
> > package called that.
>
> sounds like you should read www.dirac.org/linux/debian.

Going to read it now

> satan# dpkg -S dselect
> dpkg: /usr/bin/dselect
> dpkg: /usr/share/man/sv/man8/dselect.8.gz
> perl: /usr/bin/podselect
> perl: /usr/share/man/man1/podselect.1.gz
> dpkg: /usr/share/man/man8/dselect.8.gz
> base-config: /usr/lib/base-config/60dselect
> dpkg: /usr/share/man/ja/man8/dselect.8.gz
> dpkg: /etc/dpkg/dselect.cfg
>
> dselect is provided by dpkg.  if THAT'S not on your system, well, you
> must have burned suse on your debian disks by accident.
>
> i'd recommend against using dselect anyhow.  dpkt/apt are a good combo.

I'll use apt, but how do I find out which tree (stable, testing, unstable)
dist a specific version of software exists?  For example I wanted to install
Perl 5.6.1.  So I had to add the unstable to my sources.list, then update,
then search: apt-cache search Perl-5., install, remove unstable, update.
I'm sure there's a better way.