2002 Mar 07 19:39

Re: [vox-tech] reading a .gz .Z after offset

On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, Eric Engelhard wrote:

> Does anyone on the list have experience using perl read
> (FILEHANDLE,SCALAR,LENGTH,OFFSET) to drop into compressed files (.Z and
> .gz) and extract readable results? I am ignorant of both compressed file
> anatomy and/or perl mods which can handle this issue.
> I currently process large reference files (up to 1.8GB compressed)
> through a decompression/recompression pipe, but would like to divide and
> conquer on parallel cluster nodes without having to read through the
> entire file at each node.

I don't think you can do seeks in a compressed file... you have to read it
sequentially.

If you have a plan for dividing up the uncompressed data, perhaps you
should do that first and store the split data as separate files
(recompressed or not) for purposes of computation.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing